Friday, October 06, 2006

MEMORIES OF SINTRA, PORTUGAL

Sintra is 30 km Northwest of Lisbon. I took the train there and arrived in the small town. The Pena Palace a majestic building rising out of the mist. After an hour the mist lifted and the Sprin sun made it a new world. I went to the Lawrence Hotel, where Lord Byron stayed in 1809. I stayed in the room he used and looked for his name that he had carved on the windowsill with his diamond ring, probably one of many he owned. Yes it was there.
He loved and then hated Sintra. He wrote to his Mother, "it contains beauties of every description, natural and artifical." I enjoyed walking the road leading out of town. I passed palaces the sun shinning on these old buildings, it was a wondrful experience, but as usual my poor feet were giving me much trouble. Well, i no longer have too much feet problems since i bough my Holy plastic shoes. Crocs!! I wear them everywhere now. Not elegant, but i dont care.

Today my Putz-frau comes and poor Mischi will be hiding in one of the closets for 4 hours until Zonnie is done.
I am still waiting for the painter to finish the kitchen and bathrooms. What a mess the place is in. Poor Zonnie always wants to clean the three desks in my office, well thats impossible! The desks are all full and i dont want any of it touched. It may seem chaotic but ever piece of paper has a logic to the position it is in.

Early Autumn day --
wonderful piano music flows
from Norwegian Leif's hands

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home