Monday, October 23, 2006

50th Anniversary of the Hungarian Uprising

October 23 - November 10, 1956

It was a Nationwide revolt against the Government and Soviet-imposed policies. It attracted thousands of students In Budapest who were fired upon with many dead. The revolt spread across Hungary. On November 4th a Soviet force invaded Budapest and thousands of civilians were killed and mass arrests began. About 200,000 Hungarians fled as refugees. 40,000 went to Canada.

In 1992 i went to Hungary for the first time. I felt an amazing sadness and joy at the same time ( a common aspect of the Hungarian nature) I call it the Czardas Syndrome. This rising and falling of tempo reflects the mood of the people. I walked the halls and entered the rooms of my ancestors. I walked the fields and the wood, swam in Lake Balaton, drank the wine, met the people and tasted the wonderful food. Ah, the music, especially of a certain black-eyed eyed young Gypsy who played a Brahms Hungarian dance for me in a small country inn for me and who would only accept a kiss on my hand as payment. That reminds me of how my Father courted my Mother in the age old tradition of having Gipsy musicians play under her window every night until she accepted his proposal of marriage.

There is a wonderful children's book that i bought for all the family one Christmas, The White Stag by Kate Seredy. The epic story of the migration of the Huns and Magyars from Asia to Europe.It is a book about the legends of the people and powerful God Nimrod, Mightly Hunter and Hador God of the Huns and Magyars. The story follows the trailing of the guide the, White Stag until it reaches Europe where the people finally settled.

"Upon this alter of Hadur, our Powerful God, with His sword in my hand hand, I swear to Hadur above, to the Sun in the east, to the Moon in the west, I swear to the stars in the north and the stars in the south, to protect and hold this land against all powers on earth, for my people."

Jo estet Attila and Viola and members of Magyarok A Vilaghalon

The follow the mystical stag
he shows them the way
to the rich new land

In the land of
the Magyar the wines
ready for harvest

In the streets
protest of young voices
on the day of
Rememberance
old eyes still weep

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
My name is Steve. I am also of Hungarian decent and not very proud of it. I have been in this Godforsaken country for the past decade and see the problems with this nation. Hungarians are pessimistic and weak. They are going back towards communisim and there is nothing that they can do about it. I take that back, they are too weak to do anything about it. They are a beaten people. The past 50 years of corruption has destroyed their moral fiber, if they ever had any. Thank God I had the opportunity to leave here in 1956.

Steve

8:40 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home